Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A List

I'm in a quirky mood tonight, so here is a (not so final) list of my favorite words, in no particular order.

Lase
Vaulted
Monolithic
Deus Ex Machina (covered elsewhere!)
Carved
Violet
Hewn
Flowing
Verdant
Defenestration (and/or defenestrate)
Canopy
Broad
Mezzanine
Cerulean
Imperturbable
Scythe
Zeitgeist
Omega
Alpha
Droning Tones and Melodies (not a word, more a phrase... but work with me here)
Atypical
Epic
Archetype
Convoluted
Emerald
Heraldic
Scheme
Gloom
Draught
Esoteric
Gloaming
Serenity
Symbiotic (or symbiote, whichever comes first)

More, I'm sure, will be forthcoming...

5 comments:

Camden said...

Boy, I wish I knew what all those words meant... But I do know what one word means!!!

Antidisestablishmentarianism!!!!!

Most people have no idea whatsoever what this word means, but after frevlently searching and a little latin de-coding, I figured it out.

Establishmentarianists were people who wanted the church of England to rule. Therefore, Disestablishmentarianists were the people who wanted the church of England not to be a church (primarily Christians). In counter to this, the church of England formed the Antidisestablishmentarianists, based on an idea called antidisestablishmentarianism. I think it's sort of double negitive, but hey, it's a sweet word!

Araken said...

Hi there, sorry it's been 1.24573 eternities since I last posted here. But anywho, I'm back and have a favor to ask of you.

I've been given this report by my western civ teacher, and part of it involves interviewing a veteran of any war. (and since you're the only one I know other than my grandpa in Pennsylvania I thought I'd ask you)

If you don't want to, that's ok. Thanks

Desert Marine said...

Hey Araken,

I'd be happy to be interviewed. How would you like to accomplish the interview? You could email me questions, or however you'd like. Just let me know!

James

Jamin said...

I'm sure I have some favorite words, but I just can't think of them right now. Have you ever realized how we will use the same word in a sentence too much?

This is something I sent to a magazine, "He passed through the pass."

How did I miss THAT!

Desert Marine said...

I like to overuse the word, "however." That's a favorite mistake of mine!

My other bad habit is overusing Commas. I looooove commas!

And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda