Saturday, April 12, 2008

Jesus: Pale-faced wussy boy or Warrior of Warriors?

I became a Christ-follower about halfway through my enlistment in the Marine Corps. One of the things that I had a hard time rectifying was how Jesus has always been portrayed: you know, Gentle Jesus, Meek and Mild.

When I returned from Iraq, I had even more issues with this image, and with my "box" that I had put around God. Preface: I was not an infantryman; I was a "Field Wireman," which I like to describe is like AT&T in the middle of nowhere. However, I was part of an infantry regiment, and partway through the invasion we were split up and I was given the task of providing communications in advance of the rest of the Regiment. This meant that I had to work very closely with the front-line battalion units, and the final result is that I saw a lot more action than most of my 5th Marine counterparts. I tell you this not to glorify myself; I know that there are Marine who saw/did much more than I ever did, and I won't hesitate to admit that. I am telling you this, however, so that you can understand where I'm coming from.

See, I had been operating under the assumption that a Christ-Follower is supposed to be some sort of push-over. You know, the weak, pale-faced "Christian" who gets bullied and simply smiles and takes it all. My experiences were quite different, to the point of actually seeking out the "bullies" and 'neutralizing' them, before they had the opportunity to attack. Therefore, when I returned to the States, I had this sort of self-imposed guilt that I carried around in me. Weak? I never perceived myself as physically weak in any way! Mentally weak? You're talking about the United States Marine Corps! We are not known for our weakness. And yet, there it was, in Matthew 5:5 "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." Coupled directly to that verse was the images of Christianity that are visible everywhere you go: Jesus, sitting in a pasture with little lambs and little kids gathered around him, a gentle smile on His face, His hair neatly trimmed, his beard in perfect proportion, His hands smooth and clean...

In short, I labored for years under the impression that Christ was weak, and therefore I had to be weak.

However, I learned later on the true definition of Meekness: it is the opposite of being out of control. It is not weakness, but supreme self-control empowered by the Holy Spirit.

One of the images that was used to educate me, was that of a wild stallion who, once he learns that his human will not harm him, allows the "cowboy" to put a harness on his neck and a saddle on his back. Can that horse, if he so chooses, kill the cowboy? Heck yeah! He could buck him off, trample him, kick him in the head, or dispatch him in any number of ways. Prior to the invention of the gasoline engine, the primary "tank" of warfare was... the horse! And for good reason, if you know anything about horses.

However properly trained, the horse submits to his master and does his bidding.

A better analogy that came to me was... me. Better, those like me. You know, Marines. From boot camp we are trained to kill; "This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than the enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the kills that count. We will kill. My rifle is human, even as I am human, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but Peace."

What other purpose does a Marine have? They teach us how to fight with our hands, our feet, our rifles, and most importantly, our minds. But, out of all the millions of Marines that have been trained, how many of us actually kill? A small fraction, I'm sure. Yet, we have all that power, all of that knowledge, at our disposal. What keeps each and every Marine that has ever been trained, from going out and killing folks? Discipline; meekness; power under control; self-restraint. We submit to the laws of the land, and to our Commanding Officers, and we act only when we have been ordered to do so.

In the same way, we are to submit to our master, and do His bidding. As believers we are under His control, and we obey His voice and His Hand. Are we any weaker because of this? Absolutely not, not any more than a Marine trained during times of peace is than a Marine trained during times of war. Our Perfect Example is that of Christ Jesus.

Think about the amount of absolute self-control and strength that Jesus had to have possessed, to be tortured to the point that He was no longer recognizable as a man (Isaiah 52:14 - Just as there were many who were appalled at him-- his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness--) and then have spikes driven through His hands and feet? We're talking about the CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE, humbled and under control, doing as His Father commanded. In less time than it takes a human being to blink, Jesus could have reversed the roles, had ten thousand legions of angels hooking and jabbing, and have total control over the entire world. However, that wasn't in God's plan; so He obeyed, and kept His power in check. Was Jesus weak? Not by any stretch of the imagination!

Look at Revelation 19:11-21; we'll focus on 11-16 for now, but I urge you to read the entire passage: "11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice He judges and makes war. 12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on His head are many crowns. He has a name written on Him that no one knows but He himself. 13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and His name is the Word of God. 14 The armies of heaven were following Him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. 15 Out of His mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. "He will rule them with an iron scepter." He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. 16 On His robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF KING AND LORD OF LORDS"

Tell me... does that sound weak to you? Try this passage from Isaiah 63 on for size: "1 Who is this who comes from Edom, With dyed garments from Bozrah, This One who is glorious in His apparel, Traveling in the greatness of His strength?-- "I who speak in righteousness, mighty to save." 2 Why is Your apparel red, And Your garments like one who treads in the winepress? 3 "I have trodden the winepress alone, And from the peoples no one was with Me. For I have trodden them in My anger, And trampled them in My fury; Their blood is sprinkled upon My garments, And I have stained all My robes. 4 For the day of vengeance is in My heart, And the year of My redeemed has come. 5 I looked, but there was no one to help, And I wondered That there was no one to uphold; Therefore My own arm brought salvation for Me; And My own fury, it sustained Me. 6 I have trodden down the peoples in My anger, Made them drunk in My fury, And brought down their strength to the earth.""

I highly recommend reading all the way through Chapters 63-65 there in Isaiah. What a prophetic vision, what an image of our God, Who is mighty to be praised!! Who are we, that we have such a One who fights for us? Humbling, humbling, humbling. And I thought that Christians were supposed to be weak. No, not if we are truly made in God's image: remember, God has no form (John 4:24 -- God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.) so we know that our earthly bodies are a product of His amazing Imagination and Creativity. However, it is our attributes that are in His image, and our warrior nature is that of God's. (With the caveat that His nature is perfect, and our nature has been destroyed and muddied by sin).

This has brought me great comfort, when I look back on my life and especially my actions in Iraq. Also, it gives me great comfort, knowing that I do not follow and worship some massive wussy boy, but Elohay Mauzi - God Of My Strength.

4 comments:

Araken said...

Woah...that is amazing! It's comforting to know that a single angel can kill 150,000 enemies in 1 night and that there are over 100 million angels and that Jesus has more authority and power than all of His angels combined.

Gunnz said...

Man Jimmy, I should just go erase my post and link straight to this one! I am glad that my question to you generated much the same respons in you as it did in me, Thanks for pointing me to the Isaiah passages. Our God is great! And greatly to be Praised!

VRS
Mike

Kara Akins said...

I love your story and insight. My husband told me to read your blog. I am so glad that I did.

Desert Marine said...

Araken: Absolutely! God is amazing, and ABSOLUTE in His majesty and power. Who needs angels when you have the Creator of the Universe?

Gunny Mike: Glad you liked the post! Thanks for being the spurs behind the whole thing. Everybody: check out Gunny Mike's blog by following the link at 45:1

Mommydotcom: Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to visit you and your husband's blog; I've found yours, but can you point me in the direction of your hubby! Thanks!

James

And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda