Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Professional

(This is a tribute to all Marines of the past, the present, and the future. I speak of a Man, with the understanding that there are women who are also in harms way. However, in regards to my experience in the Marine Corps, I served solely with Men. Semper Fidelis, God Bless, and Welcome Home, my brothers.)

Under a foreign sky there is a man who stands ready to do harm on the behalf of his nation. His movements are spare, his manner neat. His body is a finely-tuned machine, trained in the arts of war and kept ready and strong by his own will. His hands are rough, those of a warrior; they have been clenched in anger and held steady under moments of intense crises. They move over his weapon with a deft assurance that one normally sees with less violent objects. He knows his weapon inside and out and he knows its limitations and the devastation that may be wrought from the muzzle of the weapon, and he shoulders the responsibility of carrying such an item with the knowledge that, for now, it must be used.

His heart is full of pride and faith in his brothers; too, he carries the memories of those who have fallen in the heat of combat everywhere he goes, and he has vowed to carry their memory to his own grave and beyond. With every beat of this noble heart he feels the intense weight of the realization that his brothers are relying upon him, even as he relies upon them. He will go to the ends of the earth for them, carry any burden for them, fight any battle for them, share his last meal with them, give them the last drop of his water, and share words of wisdom, courage, and humor with them.

His soul is firm and prepared for the work he has to do, brimming with the sort of courage that is oft misunderstood. Courage is not the absence of fear; it is not the ability to overcome the jitters,
to quell fear, or to conquer the desire to run. It is the ability to know what is, and is not, to be feared. For he knows that fearing death is useless; death comes to us all, whether in the cold, sterile halls of a nursing home or while making a last, desperate charge against a determined foe. Courage, to him, is fearing dishonor, for he knows that to lose his life but preserve his honor is the only thing within his power. To fear disgrace but not death, to fear dereliction but not duty; that is courage to one such as he. The truly courageous do not live in constant fear from morning to night. The truly courageous are calm because they know who they are. And this professional knows who he is.

His steely eyes reflect this knowledge that he carries in his soul for he has looked Death and Fear in the face, and overcome them both. Too, his eyes are older than most, for he has seen in a single day more than most see in their entire lifetime. He has watched his brothers die, he has seen his brothers triumph, and he has seen all this as he has labored alongside them in their tasks. He has seen naked vengeance in all its horrid forms; he has hated and he has loved, and he has wept when he has felt there were no more tears to give.

Where his feet tread, so too has his flag been. Upon his shoulders is the flag of his Nation, and he is the bearer of this Ensign and the adjudicator of his people. He carries the standard that has stood for freedom and justice, that is far older than he . Within that standard is the blood of all those who have gone before, who have fought in every clime and place, who have asked for naught in return for their willingness to shed blood for their Country, and he stands ready to carry that standard to the very gates of Hell itself, and beyond, should he be asked to do so.

He is that which entire libraries of tomes have been written about, that which poems and odes have been penned. In his veins flows the blood of a consummate professional, of a timeless warrior.

He Is A Marine.


(Photos, from top to bottom: Lance Corporal Dane Brown, Republic of Vietnam, 1964-1969; Sergeant E.A. Schrumpf, Iraq, 1997-2004; Gunnery Sergeant Mike Cheramie, Iraq, 1983-2003; Gunnery Sergeant Mike Anderson, Al Asad Iraq, 1992-Present; Myself, Sergeant, Iraq, 1999-2003)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Some good good stuff you have here. My brother joined the Marines when he turned eighteen, and immediately following Boot Camp and SOI, he was flown across the Atlantic ocean to serve some seven months in Iraq. That was the first of his three tours in Iraq, the many months including encounters with everything from camel spiders to the infamous roadside bombs I hear so much about to honest-to-God insurgents. He finished up his four years of service just last year, and our family is happier than ever to have him back. Thank you so much for doing what you do.

And thanks for the comment on my blog. I post the same blog on seven different sites, making it as easy as possible for people to search my name and actually find me. All just part of my trying to sell some copies of my fantasy novel "Branchwater."
-Steve

Desert Marine said...

Hey Steven,

thanks for your kind words! And tell your brother I said, "Welcome Home" and "Semper FI!" It makes my heart glad to know that men such as your brother are making it home alive. I hope that he's okay, I know that (especially when I first returned) I needed a lot of time to decompress.

You can expect to see me more around your blog; I like your writing style, and your passion for the craft. Also, like all authors and aspiring authors, I have several novels on the backburner, waiting on publishing. Currently, I'm experiencing a bit of "luck" with a publisher called Flying Pen Press. You should check them out (unless you're very happy with iUniverse, then keep on marching) when you have the free time.

Anyhow, thanks again for stopping in!

James

Araken said...

Woah...that was incredible...

Elpie said...

THIS one made me speechless

Gunnz said...

Jimmy. You made my eyes sweat. I am so glad that there are Marines like you serving with me in this time of conflict (work with me here, I know you are out...but we both know that you are NEVER out).I love this job. It will be a part of my life that I will never forget. I feel humbled that you asked to use my picture.

Semper Fi, Mac

Mike

Desert Marine said...

Mike, I need your service dates...

-J

Gunnz said...

Jimmy~

1992 to present. In Iraq Mar-Apr 2005 with 15th MEU... Al Asad Feb 06-Sept 06.

R
Mike

Desert Marine said...

Roger that, noted!

Thanks

S/F

And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda